In order to receive service connection for a back condition, you must show that you injured your back while on active duty or had a pre-existing back condition which was aggravated while on active duty. When evaluating your back condition, the VA uses what is called Range of Motion to measure how disabled your back is. A Veteran can get rated on a cervical, thoracolumbar spine condition. The thoracolumbar spine condition may include a sacral condition.
The lowest rating for a back condition is 0% and the highest is 100%. The most common rating for a severe back condition we see at the firm is 40%. In order to receive a higher rating of 50%, the VA examiner must find unfavorable ankylosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine. For a 100% rating, the VA examiner must find unfavorable ankylosis of the entire spine.
When a veteran reaches a rating of 40% on a back condition, we tend to leave it alone because the VA examiner could find an improved range of motion and the veteran could get a decrease in his or her service connected compensation.
At Jan Dils Attorneys at Law, our attorneys and staff are dedicated to helping Veterans get the benefits they deserve. Give our office a call today for a free phone consultation. Our toll free number is 1-877-526-3457or use our online contact form.
- 6 Things You Probably Don’t Know About The United States Coast Guard - August 4, 2016
- What if You Didn’t Treat in Service? - August 3, 2016
- 6 things Veterans Need to Remember About the VA Disability Process - July 19, 2016
- The 5 Most Common Issues Veterans Have with Dependents - July 14, 2016
- Agent Orange Ship List Updated Again - July 5, 2016
- Taking another look at the VA Disability Timeline - June 20, 2016
- The Evolution of Combat: How a New Generation of Pilots Service Connect for PTSD - June 6, 2016
- How I learned to truly appreciate Memorial Day - May 27, 2016
- House Bill Seeks to Expand Agent Orange Presumptive Benefits to Blue Water Vietnam Veterans - May 23, 2016
- How finding the right VA attorney is like finding the right car dealer - May 18, 2016