Yesterday, a client that I am often in contact with at the office stopped by to give me an update. He was actually a little upset. He had recently found a new job, and he was worried that he could no longer pursue his VA Disability Claim.
I quickly took this Veteran into one of our consultation rooms and explained to him how VA Disability Compensation works. I explained that even if he made 30 million dollars a year, he would still be eligible for Disability Compensation benefits. He seemed a little hesitant about that, so I explained further. VA Disability Compensation is not income-based. Thus, the amount of money a Veteran makes in a given year has no effect on his compensation. He understood, but then replied, “My buddy lost his compensation because he and his wife made too much money.”
After hearing this, I explained to him that his buddy probably did not receive Disability Compensation, but rather he likely received Pension. A lot of people do not realize that Disability Compensation and Pension are actually two separate things. Due to the fact that Pension is income-based, you may lose that benefit depending upon your income.
The Veteran thought for a second, and then realized that his buddy did mention the word Pension in a recent conversation. After I explained that we would still be able to pursue his claim, he was very relieved.
At Jan Dils Attorneys at Law, we never hesitate to educate Veterans about the VA Process. This is just one of the many ways we serve our clients. If you would like to know more about what we do, or if you would like a FREE consultation, give us a call at 1-877-526-3457, or tell us about your claim now by clicking here.
- How a Prehearing Helps Your VA Disability Claim - January 5, 2018
- What Does Evidence Mean In A VA Disability Claim? - January 3, 2018
- What Are The Basic Requirements to Receive VA Disability Benefits? - December 6, 2017
- Procrastination and Your VA Disability Claim - November 17, 2017
- How Veterans Use Meditation to Alleviate PTSD Symptoms - October 20, 2017
- Veterans Disability Compensation and Incarceration - September 25, 2017
- My Sleep Apnea Journey (Part 2) 8 Things I Wish I Knew About a CPAP Machine - July 21, 2017
- My Sleep Apnea Journey (Part 1) - July 21, 2017
- Guitar Heroes Come To Parkersburg - July 14, 2017
- Individual Unemployability vs. 100% Schedular Rating - May 15, 2017