Tinnitus is an issue that we see in a lot of our Veterans. It’s a constant ringing or buzzing in the ears that, according to an American Tinnitus Association study, affects about 50 million people in the United States. Further, about 2% of the population has tinnitus so severe their quality of life is impaired. The ATA also states that there is no known cure. That does not mean that you can’t get relief.
One of the problems a lot of our clients with tinnitus complain about is that it keeps them up at night, and they often lose sleep due to the ringing. Beltone, a leading manufacturer of hearing aids in the United States, offers up some suggestions: Try to avoid loud noise. Control your blood pressure, and decrease salt intake. They also suggest using a competing sound, such as a radio, white noise generator. A lot of people have been hesitant to use white noise because of it being associated with static. And honestly, from my experience, that sound can be quite annoying. However, technology has a way of changing things. If you are a smartphone owner there are a ton of apps out there that take white noise to the next level. For instance, the one I use is free (with in app purchases available,) on the iPhone. It has so many relaxing sounds. You can listen to everything from a ceiling fan, to a boat swaying in the water to even rain on a car roof. (A personal favorite of mine) In fact, they even let you download more sounds from their website. One I came across was bacon frying. While I did pass on this one myself, I think there are a large number of people who would find this relaxing.
There is no guarantee that this will help you sleep any better. What works for some, may not work for you. However, there are so many free options out there, and they are easy to use, so why not give it a shot? If you are interested in learning about what we can do to help you get service connected for tinnitus, or have other claims that you need help with, give us a call today for a free consultation. You can also request to have us call you by clicking here.
- Individual Unemployability vs. 100% Schedular Rating - May 15, 2017
- Coast Guard Veterans and PTSD - April 18, 2017
- Who is Considered a Veteran? - April 7, 2017
- Learn How Our C-File Review Team Better Serves Veterans - April 3, 2017
- Camp Lejeune Presumptive Benefits Approved for Veterans - March 15, 2017
- I Get a Little Help From My Friends; How Buddy Statements Impact Your VA Claim - March 15, 2017
- How Veterans Service Connect for Headaches and Migraines - February 9, 2017
- How Disabled Veterans Can Receive Student Loan Forgiveness - January 23, 2017
- Knee Issues and Your Veterans Disability Claim - December 19, 2016
- 5 Tips for Veterans this Holiday Season - November 17, 2016