If I pursue a claim for Veterans Benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs, are there deadlines for documents to be submitted and appeals to be filed? This is a very good question because there are several different deadlines the Dept. of VA implements depending on what information or appeals are necessary.
The following deadlines need to be considered when pursuing a claim with the Dept. of VA:
· VA Document Requesting Evidence or Completion of Forms – the VA usually allows 30 to 60 days for the claimant to respond. The specific number of days will be listed in the letter.
· Rating Decision or Decision Review Officer Decision – the claimant has One (1) Year from the date of the decision to file a Notice of Disagreement or NOD.
· A Proposal to Sever or Decrease Current VA Benefits – the claimant has Thirty (30) Days from the date of the decision to request a hearing on the proposal. If the hearing request is filed within 30 days, the Dept. of VA will not implement the proposal prior to the hearing being held.
· Statement of the Case or SOC – the claimant has Sixty (60) Days from the date of the SOC to file a VA9 (Request for Hearing).
· Supplemental Statement of the Case or SSOC – the claimant has Thirty (30) Days from the date of the SSOC to file an appeal.
· Board of Veterans Affairs or BVA Decision – the claimant has One Hundred Twenty (120) Days from the date of the BVA decision to file an appeal.
Keeping tack of these deadlines can be very difficult and confusing. This is just one of the reasons so many Veterans turn to the legal team at Jan Dils Attorneys at Law. We have a full system in place to make sure deadlines are met. Call us today for a free phone consultation: 1-877-526-3457. Or, tell us about your claim now.
- Everything you need to know about a C&P Exam! - July 25, 2012
- Can I Hire an Attorney for a VA Claim? - March 13, 2012
- What is a NOD? - March 8, 2012
- What is VA Pension? - March 5, 2012
- What is a VCAA on a VA Disability Claim? - March 1, 2012
- Can I Collect DIC if my Spouse Committed Suicide? - February 20, 2012
- How Does the VA Determine a 100% Rating for PTSD? - February 15, 2012
- How does the VA Determine a 50% Rating for PTSD? - February 13, 2012
- What is MST in a VA Disability Claim? - February 10, 2012
- A lot of Veterans have been told - January 27, 2012