So, you just filled out your 21-526, and are probably wondering how long your VA Disability claim will take. Unfortunately for most Veterans, the answer isn’t pleasant. At the current time, most VA Claims take anywhere from two to four years for a final decision to be made.
There is a pretty good chance that the news mentioned above has you a little upset, and you are probably are wanting to know why claims take so long. There are several factors that go into the long wait for claims to be approved.
First and foremost, the number of new claims being filed is contributing to the backlog. With many Veterans returning home from the recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, there are now more new claims being filed through the VA than ever before. This adds to the number of previous claims already pending through the VA. Take the state of North Carolina for instance. Their one Regional Office has more than 20,000 claims pending right now.
While on the subject of Regional Offices, it is important to note that your Regional Office and location as a whole have a lot to do with your timeline. A Regional Office located in a major metropolitan area, like Chicago or New York City, will likely be more backed up then those located in more rural areas.
Another factor contributing to length of a claim is the appeals process. A full explanation of the appeals process can be found here.
At Jan Dils Attorneys at Law, we understand how frustrating this wait can be. Fighting your claim alone can be very difficult. Call us today to find out about the services we offer: 1-877-526-3457, or tell us about your claim now.
- How I learned to truly appreciate Memorial Day - May 27, 2016
- House Bill Seeks to Expand Agent Orange Presumptive Benefits to Blue Water Vietnam Veterans - May 23, 2016
- How finding the right VA attorney is like finding the right car dealer - May 18, 2016
- You Had One Job…and here is how it impacts your VA Disability Claim - May 4, 2016
- Better Call Jan: 10 Things Veterans Need to Know About Hiring a VA Disability Attorney - April 6, 2016
- 5 Real Issues All Veterans Need to Know About the VA Disability Timeline - March 11, 2016
- Get to know the face of our blog - March 7, 2016
- Why some law firms won’t help Veterans with their initial application for disability benefits - January 21, 2016
- 7 Goals Veterans Should Set For VA Disability Claims In 2016 - January 4, 2016
- Smoke and Mirrors; How the VA is Spinning the Backlog - November 25, 2015