So, you just filled out your 21-526, and are probably wondering how long your VA Disability claim will take. Unfortunately for most Veterans, the answer isn’t pleasant. At the current time, most VA Claims take anywhere from two to four years for a final decision to be made.
There is a pretty good chance that the news mentioned above has you a little upset, and you are probably are wanting to know why claims take so long. There are several factors that go into the long wait for claims to be approved.
First and foremost, the number of new claims being filed is contributing to the backlog. With many Veterans returning home from the recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, there are now more new claims being filed through the VA than ever before. This adds to the number of previous claims already pending through the VA. Take the state of North Carolina for instance. Their one Regional Office has more than 20,000 claims pending right now.
While on the subject of Regional Offices, it is important to note that your Regional Office and location as a whole have a lot to do with your timeline. A Regional Office located in a major metropolitan area, like Chicago or New York City, will likely be more backed up then those located in more rural areas.
Another factor contributing to length of a claim is the appeals process. A full explanation of the appeals process can be found here.
At Jan Dils Attorneys at Law, we understand how frustrating this wait can be. Fighting your claim alone can be very difficult. Call us today to find out about the services we offer: 1-877-526-3457, or tell us about your claim now.
- 6 Things to look for when selecting a VA Disability Attorney - February 10, 2015
- Don’t Take “NO” for an Answer: 5 Tips to Remember When Your VA Claim Gets Denied - February 2, 2015
- Motorcycle clubs can make a difference for Veterans with PTSD - January 15, 2015
- How Veterans can service connect for knee instability - January 7, 2015
- 5 goals Veterans should set in 2015 in order to get service connected - December 31, 2014
- PTSD; It’s not the same for every Veteran - December 5, 2014
- What New and Material evidence means for a Closed VA Disability Claim - November 28, 2014
- What Should You Do if the VA Takes Your Benefits Away? - November 19, 2014
- How to Get The Benefits You Deserve (Part Two) - November 13, 2014
- How to get the Veterans Benefits you deserve (part one) - November 4, 2014